Thistle Property Services
Our lovely friends Isobel and Walter look after pool and villa cleaning, laundry and maintenance. They are on call for any daily problems that may arise, and can offer advice on things to do and places to go in Crete. Isobel and Walter represent us in Crete. They are efficient, professional and friendly.
With Walter and Isobel in place we can relax, safe in the knowledge that you, our guests, will be cared for (in an unobtrusive manner) to the very highest standards.
Most of our guests arrive by air from the UK. There are many direct flights to Crete from the UK and flights operate with Monarch, Jet 2, Easyjet, Ryanair, Norwegian and BA.
Our changeover days are flexible, due to the availability of flights into Chania (closest airport to our villa) or Heraklion airports.
When arranging your flights, please bear in mind that the usual check in time on the day of arrival is 16.00 and the usual check out time on the day of departure is 10.00. If your flights don't fit in with these times we will do our best to help you with an early check-in or late check-out.
Airports on Crete - There are two airports on Crete, one at Chania and the other at Heraklion. Villa Amaltheia is 30-40 minutes from Chania airport and 2 hours from Heraklion airport
- Easyjet to Chania - from London Gatwick.
- Easyjet to Heraklion - from Bristol, Edinburgh, London Gatwick, London Luton and Manchester.
- Ryanair to Chania - from Bristol, Dublin, East Midlands, Glasgow (Int'l), Leeds Bradford, Manchster, Birmingham and London Stansted.
- Jet 2 to Heraklion - from East Midlands, Glasgow (Int'l), Leeds Bradford, Manchester, Stanstead and Newcastle.
- BA to Heraklion - from London Gatwick
- Monarch to Heraklion - from London Gatwick, Birmingham and Manchester
- Aegean Airlines, Olympic Air and BA fly daily to Crete from London Heathrow and from London Gatwick and Manchester via Athens.
New routes are happening all the time, so have a good look around for flights.
Hiring a car is essential to get to and from the villa and to travel around the west of Crete if you want to make the most of yor stay. Several car hire companies are based at Chania airport. The ones based at the airport tend to be more expensive if booked directly. We have found that they are cheaper on comparison websites. Many car hire companies will meet you at the airport with your car. We have done this on many occasions and it has been fine. We have used a few different car hire companies on our trips to the villa, as follows:
Auto Europe: http://www.auto-europe.co.uk/
Athens Cars Crete car hire: http://www.athenscars.gr
More recently we have got directly in touch with Kydon car rental at the airport to negotiate a price: http://www.kydonrentacar.gr
It pays to have a good shop around on the internet, and contact them directly for the best prices. Crete Escapes have links with a couple of car hire companies on their website that offer small discounts to our guests.